- Bathtubs, couples, love and challenge are strong themes throughout this artist's work with other key elements including individuality, style, communication and intimacy.
Photographer Hal brings complete strangers to his confined, crucible like spaces only to convey his continuing theme of 'love of the couple'. The initial title Pinky & Killer used a small space or room to capture the willing couples, soon followed by the title Couple Jam which brought the focus even closer to the subjects who were placed in a bathtub together. "I am currently seeking new dimensions in portrait photography by challenging the majestic theme of mankind, defined through love." Photographer Hal's latest project is called Fresh Love, which captures the many varied and fresh couples in vacuum sealed package.
- Born, educated and currently residing in Tokyo.
"Living through my university days I was starving for encounters with different people from other cultures around the world. As soon as I had the opportunity I left Japan and began my travels with a special focus on the Middle East and India. It was here that I first became aware of my passion for photography. The camera became the key to overcoming shyness and limited local language abilities and I could in some way communicate with the people I met.
After graduating from university I joined an advertising production company in Tokyo and this enabled me to acquire a much wider set of photographic skills. The assignments were varied and unique including celebrities and established fashion icons. It was the crucible of my technical ability and the focus in my work soon became the people.
- "I want to capture love as it really is and the bathtub is an ideal vehicle to encapsulate the vivid reality in my images. A grand theme in mankind is Love, and I, Photographer Hal, am challenging the majestic theme!"
"Those in power are continually guilty of segregation and discrimination, can we realize peace under such conditions? You who are standing on the earth, no matter where you are, love the person in front of you. From two people to a group, a town to a community, a city to a country, from border to border, the ring of love shall prevail. I have started to create my ring of love in the city of Tokyo, believing that some day a world peace without segregation and discrimination will come true."
- Through the medium of photography, the couple has become Photographer Hal's chosen vehicle to express the principle theme of world love, this will of course require a search to find subjects who are willing to participate. "I go to Kabukicho in Shinjuku, underground bars in Shibuya and many other places which are full of activity like luscious night time bee-hives.
When I see a couple of interest I will begin to negotiate. I'm sure that many people initially think of my proposal as unusual or even look through me like I am completely invisible, but I always push forward with my challenge to them. The models appear from all walks of life and individually have included musicians, dancers, strippers, laborers, restaurant and bar managers, photographers, businessmen and women, unsettled and unemployed, et al. As a couple, I have photographed a wide variety of variables which include being young and old, from the same or opposite sex, of different race, having different styles, girls from the north and men from the south and many others who have been willing to participate. There have been occasions when the situation has become complicated, for example if a couple have disagreements, begin to argue or even fight! There are also the inevitable no-shows and the couples who split up before I can complete the images. On one assignment I had to visit a prison later to obtain permission for the final print. Happily though, for the most part I've had many joyful moments with many interesting scenes to capture. There was even a couple who married soon after one event, and it all began in a bathtub!
- Photographic Style
- "In my early explorations I used to capture the models in a small room or enclosed space, these images can be seen in the photo books called Pinky & Killer, and Pinky & Killer DX.
During the photo session I often prompt the couple to pose as if they're in a sticker photo booth, an extension of the regular passport type which cause friends to pose in many alternative and fun ways. The focal point of the concept was then extended for the publication Couple Jam to include the use of the models bathtub, usually in their own home. I think of the bathroom as being one of the most private and intimate place in anyone's home, this provoked a shyness in the models, and created a unique excitement and inspiration in the scene. In my most recent project I have applied the use of the vacuum sealed package, used to store futon covers in everyday life, I found that the couple can be sealed in, with the appearance of being freshly wrapped I have called this event Fresh Love."
- It is my desire to have solo exhibits with the title Fresh Love in Paris and Tokyo during this next coming year. With Love.
- Hal Statement
- It is my desire to henceforth spread the works and name of Photographer Hal globally, with love!
- Publication of Photo Book
- 2015 43: Zine,Self made
2014 雜乱(Zatsuran): Tosei-sha, Tokyo
2011 Flesh Love: Tosei-sha, Tokyo
2009 Couple Jam: Tosei-sha, Tokyo
2007 Pinky & Killer DX: Tosei-sha, Tokyo
2004 Pinky & Killer: Tosei-sha, Tokyo
- Selected solo exhibition
- 2015 Photographer Hal, IBASHO Gallery,Antwerp,Belgium
2015 "?": Gallery Tosei, Tokyo
2014 雑乱(Zatsuran): Nikon Salon Ginza , Tokyo
2013 Flesh Love:1839 Contemporary Gallery,Taipei,Taiwan
2012 Flesh Love: Blue Sky Gallery,Portland,USA
2011 Flesh Love: Nikon Salon, Tokyo
2009 Couple Jam: Gallery Tosei, Tokyo
2008 Pinky & Killer DX: Mememachine Gallery, Shibuya, Tokyo
2006 Pinky & Killer 100 Couple: Tomorrow, Golden Town, Shinjuku, Tokyo
2005 Pinky & Killer 05 Golden: Nagune, Golden Town, Shinjuku, Tokyo
2000 Funky: Rosso Harajyuku, Tokyo
- Selected group exhibition
- 2014 "Image-Makers" at "21_21 DESIGN SIGHT museum,Tokyo
2013 "Transformer. The Body Remixed" at "Galerie SAW Gallery, Ottawa, Canada
2012 "new directions - crossing territories" at "Wall Space Gallery" Santa Barbara USA
2012 "Love Love Show" at "Tomonotsu Museum"Hiroshima,Japan
2010 "Sound of Photography" Seibu Shibuya, Tokyo
2010 "KODOJI-KONICHIWA " Rencontres d’Arles, France
2009 "JEUNE PHOTOGRAPHIE JAPONAISE" GALERIE de la GARE,France
- JAPIGOZZI COLLECTION (New York)
- 2015 "Cannes Lions" Bronze
2015 "D&AD" wood pencil
2014 "Prix de la Photography "(Px3,Paris) 3rd Plize
2012 "Prix de la Photography "(Px3,Paris) 2nd Plize
2012 "Prix de la Photography "(Px3,Paris) 3rd Plize
2011 "Art of Photography Show"(San Diego,USA) 1st Plize
- 2011 Nippon Camera Aug:(Japan)
2011 Azart Photo No11 : (France)